Complete Guide: Using Remote Desktop App to Connect to Windows 8 PC
Have you ever thought that when you are at work, you can access some of your files on your device? If this possibility is possible without any side program, it is considered a unique feature.
Fortunately, in all versions of Windows, the user can connect to a system that has its specifications available using the Internet.
Remote Desktop allows you to remotely control another PC. This service consists of a Remote Desktop server service that allows connecting to a computer over a network and a Remote Desktop client that establishes a connection to a remote computer.
The client is included in all versions of Windows – Home, Professional, Enterprise, etc.
The server part is only available in the Professional and Enterprise editions. This means that you can initiate a Remote Desktop connection from almost any PC running Windows, but you can only connect to PCs with Pro or Enterprise editions.
In this article, we want to explain how to use the Remote Desktop app to connect to a PC on Windows 8.
Using Windows Remote Desktop
1.Select the Start button on the computer you want to connect to.
Note: Keep in mind that this feature is only available over the local network and does not work over the Internet.
If you need to connect to your computer via the Internet, you can use Google Chrome instead of using Remote Desktop Control.
2. Type winver.
3. Hit the Enter.
4. Look underneath the Microsoft copyright for your Windows version.
Note: You will name your version of Windows 8 under Microsoft’s copyright information.
The following versions can only be connected:
- Windows 8.1 Pro
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise
- Windows 8 Enterprise
- Windows 8 Pro
5. On the computer you are connected to, click on the Start option.
Note: If you find that your computer supports remote connection, you should enable incoming connections for it.
But if the computer you are connected to cannot support and run the Pro or Enterprise version of Windows, you can use Chrome Remote Desktop instead.
6. Type allow remote.
7. Select the Allow remote access to your computer.
8. Select the Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop option.
9. Press the Select Users option.
10. Select the Add option.
11. Press the Enter the object names to select field.
12. Type the username you want to connect to.
13. Select the OK option.
Note: In this section, the user you specified can connect remotely.
14. In order to be able to connect to the desired computer remotely, it needs the full name of the computer. For this, you must:
15. Select the Start button.
16. Type system.
17. Hit Enter.
18. Find the computer name in the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings section.
19. Open the Remote Desktop app on your other computer.
Note: If you don’t have the desktop remote program in your system, you can download it for free from the Windows Store.
20. To open the remote desktop program, you can click on the Windows button.
21. Type remote desktop.
22. Hit the Enter.
23. Type the name of the computer you are connected to.
24. Select the Connect.
25. You can control the remote computer through the Remote Desktop application.
After you are connected, you can see the desktop of the remote computer in the Remote Desktop window.
You can also control the remote computer like your local computer.
Using Chrome Remote Desktop
1.Install Chrome on both computers.
To install Chrome, you can go to google.com/chrome and select on the download option.
2. Open Chrome on the computer you want to access remotely.
3. Go to chrome.google.com/webstore in your Chrome browser.
4. Search for Remote Desktop.
5. Next to Chrome Remote Desktop, click Add to Chrome.
6. In the window that appears, select Add app.
7. Into the Chrome address bar,type chrome://apps.
8. Select Chrome Remote Desktop.
9. Select Get Started.
10.Select Enable remote connections.
11. Type a PIN that you can use to connect to the computer.
12.Select the Yes .
13. Sign in with your Google account.
14. You must Enter the PIN to confirm.
15. In this section, remote access is enabled for your computer.
16. Select the Chrome Remote Desktop app.
17. Select Get Started.
18.Select the computer you want to connect to.
19. Type the PIN that you created.
20. Select the Connect option .
21. In this section, you can use the remote computer.
In this article, we have explained how you can work with the remote desktop feature. By doing the above steps, you can easily communicate remotely.
What other ways do you know to use Remote Desktop in Windows 8?
Share your thoughts and experiences with us.