Complete Guide: How to Reinstall Windows 11 – Step by Step Tutorial
In many cases, you may need to reinstall Windows 11. For instance, when you Windows cannot boot up, so the first thing that you need to do is reinstalling your Windows, or if you see the blue screen of death (BSOD), or your PC gets slow, the best option is to reinstall your Windows. Whatever the reason you have, reinstallation of Windows 11 may need. Some users need to know how to reinstall Windows 11. In this article, we presented a few ways to help you. It may seem confusing if have never done that before, but by following the methods below, you can have a perfect reinstallation.
How to Back up Your Data Before Reinstalling Windows 11?
It is important to back up your data before making this big change on your system. Reinstallation means losing data in most cases, so you may lose all your documents, files, photos, videos, etc.
MiniTool ShadowMaker is a software that you can back up your files with it. It is compatible with different operating systems like Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8 and 7. You can back up files and folders easily, and create a system image. You can create a bootable USB drive with MiniTool Media Builder to restore your device to the date when your PC fails to load.
In this software, file sync and disk cloning are supported too. It is also useful for automatic backups, performing incremental and differential backups for newly added or changed data.
Now, follow the instruction below to back up data on your computer with this free backup software in Windows 11:
- Click on the MiniTool Shadowmaker to launch the backup program to the main interface.
- Select the Source section under Backup Tab.
- Choose Folders and Files.
- Choose items that you want to back up.
- Hit OK to go back to Backup.
- Select Destination.
- Choose the way to save backed-up files.
Note: An external hard drive or USB flash drive can be a perfect choice.
- To execute the data backup task at once, select Back Up Now.
- Now, you have backed up your important data successfully.
How to Reinstall Windows 11 with an ISO Image?
It is possible to use a Windows 11 ISO image to perform and in-place upgrade and reinstall the Windows. If you don’t have an extra USB flash drive with enough storage to create an installation media, it is useful for you. To reinstall Windows 11 with an ISO image, follow the steps below:
- Download a Windows 11 ISO File.
- Save it to your system.
- After finishing the process of download, right-click on the ISO File.
- Choose Mount.
Note: To mount the file, you can double-click on the file too.
- In File Explorer, enter This PC.
- Select Devices and Drives.
- Double-click on the newly mounted virtual drive to launch the Windows 11 setup wizard.
- Select Change How to Setup Downloads Updates on the Windows 11 Setup window.
- Hit Not at the Moment.
- Hit Next.
- Select Accept to continue.
- If you see a warning related to your display language, hit OK.
- Select Change What to Keep in the Ready to Install window.
- Click on Keep Personal Files and Apps.
- Hit Next.
Note: Be careful that you cannot use your system during the installation process. Thus, save all your work and close all applications.
- Select Install button to start the process.
Note: The upgrade process takes a while to complete.
- Now your PC will restart automatically after finishing the upgrade.
- Enter Settings.
- Choose Apps.
- Select Apps and Features.
Note: You must have all the applications and games installed.
To install the missing updates, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Select Windows Update.
- Select Check for Updates to install pending Windows and third-party updates.
How to Reinstall Windows 11 without Losing Data?
Follow the steps below to reinstall Windows 11 on your laptop or your desktop without losing your files:
- Go to Settings.
- Select System.
- On the right side, select Recovery.
- Select Reset PC in the Reset This PC setting, under the Recovery Options to start Windows 11 reinstallation.
- Select Keep My Files option.
- Click the Cloud Download to download Windows 11 to do a fresh installation.
Note: You can also select Local Reinstall to use the local files to reinstall the operating system without losing data.
- Hit Next.
- Select Restart button.
How to Reinstall Windows 11 from Recovery Mode?
If your computer cannot boot up normally, follow the steps below to perform Windows 11 factory reset from boot:
- Start your computer to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) via a repair disk or force reboot (several times).
- Go to Troubleshoot.
- Select Reset This PC.
- Choose Keep Personal Files and Refresh Windows Settings and Apps or Remove Everything.
- Select an installation method between Cloud Download or Local Reinstall.
- Follow the wizards on the computer screen to complete the resetting process.
How to Have a Clean Install in Windows 11?
This method needs an installation USB flash drive or CD/DVD, and it will delete all your personal files, settings and also apps. So before doing anything, make sure that you have done a backup in advance. To have a clean installation, follow the steps below:
- Search Windows 11 ISO File in Google, and download it.
- Double-click the installer to launch Rufus.
- Connect the USB drive to a working PC.
- Choose the Windows 11 ISO File.
- Make some Settings.
- Hit Start to create a Windows 11 bootable USB flash drive.
- Plug the bootable USB drive into your Windows 11 PC.
- Restart the computer.
- Press a specific key to boot to the BIOS Menu.
- Configure the boot priority by setting the USB drive as the first boot sequence.
- Choose your language and other preferences.
- Hit Next to continue.
- Select Install Now to continue.
- Hit I Don’t Have a Product Key.
- Choose an edition of the Windows copy.
- Accept the license.
- Click the second option, which says Custom: Install Windows Only (Advanced) to reinstall Windows 11.
- Choose the drive you want to install Windows 11 on.
- Your Windows will start installing your PC, which can take a few minutes
- You should configure Windows 11 after reinstalling Windows 11 and booting up your computer.
- Choose the country and region.
- Select the keyboard layout or input method.
- Decide to connect to a network or not.
- Choose an appropriate name for your PC.
- Choose a way to set up this Windows 11 device.
How to Reinstall Windows 11 Without Deleting Apps?
You can use this method to perform an in-place upgrade if you have a bootable USB drive or an ISO image that allows you to reinstall the operating system as an upgrade without deleting any data in your system. Follow the steps below if your installation media is ready:
- Connect the USB drive to your system.
- Open File Explorer.
- Open the USB drive.
- To launch Windows Setup, double-click on the setup.exe.
- Hit Yes if you are prompted by User Account Control.
- Select Change How Setup Downloads Update in the Install Windows 11 window.
- Click on Not at the Moment.
- To agree to term, choose Accept.
Note: Now, the setup wizard will run a few checks to make sure that you are ready to install.
- Select Keep Personal Files and Apps in the Choose What to Keep.
- Hit Next to continue.
- Review your settings in the Ready to Install window.
Note: Click on Change What to Keep if you want to change your selection.
- To start Windows 11 repair install, hit the Install button.
Note: This process takes some time to complete. So, leave your system idle and connected to the power outlet.
- You can log in with your local user account or Microsoft Account after the installation is complete.
Reinstalling Windows is a useful task in many cases, especially if you face a problem with your Windows. As a Windows 11 user, you should know how to reinstall Windows 11. In this article, we fully presented different ways to reinstall Windows 11. Are a Windows 11 user? Have you ever faced any problem that you need to reinstall Windows 11? How did you do that? If you want to choose a way from the methods above, which one do you choose to reinstall Windows 11? Share your ideas with us.