Microsoft usually provides security updates for Windows every few weeks. If your system’s Windows Update is in Automatic mode, when you are not using the Internet, Windows updates will be downloaded and installed automatically.
Maybe you also encountered the problem that when you connect to the Internet, your Windows starts downloading a series of updates from the Internet without your knowledge.
The automatic update of Windows 8 sometimes causes a large amount of your internet traffic to be used without you realizing it. Also, when you want to turn off your computer, the updates start to be installed, and sometimes it takes a long time.
In this article, we want to explain how to stop automatic updates on Windows 8.
There are two methods to do this.
Follow the steps below:
The first method:
1. Go to Start.
2. Open the Control Panel
3. Click on System and Security.
4. Select Windows Update.
5. On the left side bar, Select Change Settings.
6. Select Turn Automatic Updating on or off on the search result.
7. It will open the Change Settings windows for Updates in Windows 8.
8. You will get a drop down menu under Important Updates which will show you how you want to update your Windows 8 System.
9. On that drop down menu, you will get 4 options.
In the fourth option, the following message is displayed:
Never Check for Updates: This will not check the update for your Windows 8 system.
10. According to the options provided, you can choose the desired Windows update settings for your Windows 8.
If you want to stop the automatic update, you should choose the fourth option
11. Select OK.
Note: If the UAC prompt ask for your confirmation then select Yes.
Now automatic update stops in Windows 8.
The second method:
1. Hit Win+R to bring in the Run window
2. Type services.msc.
3. Press enter, now you will see services windows.
4. In the Services Window, scroll down to find Windows Update.
5. Double click on Windows Update.
6. Click on Stop.
7. Under the Start-up type drop down menu, click on Disabled
8. Select OK.
And finally, when I did the mentioned steps, the automatic update of your Windows 8 will stop.
Also, if you want to change the way Windows updates are downloaded and installed, follow the steps below.
1. Hit the Windows key and you will see the tiled start screen.
2. Start typing update.
3. Click on Windows update settings.
4. Select Choose how updates get installed and choose your option in the drop-down.
5. Select Apply.
In this article, two ways to stop the automatic update in Windows 8 were said, and by doing one of these two methods, you can effortlessly stop the automatic update in Windows 8.
Have you used the methods mentioned in this article?
What other ways do you know to stop automatic updates in Windows 8?
Share your thoughts and experiences with us.