How to Speed Up Internet Connection in Windows 10: Expert Tips
Working with a slow Internet is annoying, and many users of Windows 10 complained about slow internet speed. So, they need to know how to speed up Internet connection in Windows 10. By using some techniques, you can speed up your internet connection and download. We are going to tell you all the tricks to increase the speed of the Internet and download. Stay with us if you would like to increase your speed too.
Change DNS Settings of Your System
- Look for View Network Connections in Windows search box.
- Right click on your network adapter.
- Select Properties.
- Choose Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Select Properties.
- Use the following DNS and input google dns
For using Google DNS, Type:
If you want to use OpenDNS, Type:
- Select Apply.
- Click on OK.
Close Background Applications
Many applications run in Background. You must turn them off to increase the speed. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Select Privacy.
- Scroll down the left menu.
- Select Background Apps.
- Turn Off Background Apps.
Disable Windows Update Service
In many cases disabling Windows Update Service is not recommended. Sometimes, we need to do it to increase the speed of the Internet. Follow the steps below to disable it:
- In Windows 10 search bar, look for Services.
- Select Services.
- After the Service Manager opens, find Windows Update from the list.
- Select Stop.
- Change Startup to disable from the dropdown menu.
- Restart your computer.
Disable Metered Connections
- Hold Windows + I to enter Settings.
- From the left menu, select Windows Update.
- From the right side, choose Advanced Options.
- Turn off Download Over Metered Connections.
- In Windows search box, look for Delivery Optimization Advanced Settings.
- Choose percentage of measured bandwidth option.
- Check Limit bandwidth options of download and upload.
- Drag the sliders to 5%.
Change Bandwidth Limitation
To change bandwidth limit, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- From the left pane, select Delivery Optimization.
- Scroll down the right pane.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Modify the Download Settings and Upload Settings to limit how much bandwidth to be used in different cases.
Note: We advise you turn off the Allow Downloads from Other PCs in the Delivery Optimization pane.
Clear Tempt Files and Cached Files in Windows 10
- In the Windows search box, look for Disk Cleanup.
- Select Disk Cleanup.
- Choose C drive.
- Choose all files.
- Select OK to delete useless files in your PC.
- Select Clean up System Files again.
- Select useless files.
- Select OK to delete them.
- Clean your recycle bin.
Clean Your Browser’s Cache and History
Extra data can reduce the speed of your Internet. Therefore, you need to clean your browser’s cache. To clean the Chrome cache, follow the steps below:
- Enter Chrome.
- Select the three dot in the top-right corner.
- Click on More Tools.
- Clean Browser Data.
- Ensure that you check all the necessary cache data: Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files. Select Clear Data.
Close Applications with Many Bandwidth Usage
To increase download and upload speeds, you must close applications. Follow the steps below to close them:
- Go to the Settings.
- Click on Network & Internet.
- Select Data Usage from the left sidebar.
- On the right side pane, select View Usage per App.
- You can see the applications and the data they use. Look for the applications with too much data.
- Then, close those applications.
Disable or Enable Ethernet or Wi-Fi in Network and Sharing Center
- Enter Network and Sharing Center.
- From the left menu, select Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click on Ethernet or Wi-Fi and disable it; then, enable it with a right-click again, and reset the Internet.
Change the Password of Your Wi-Fi
Sometimes, some people may know your Wi-Fi password and use your connection to download which causes the slow speed of Internet. To stop that, you need to change your password.
- Go to the Settings for your router. You can access the page in your web browser by typing 192.168.1.1.
- As an admin sign in to your router. Most routers you should type admin in both username and password.
- Select Wireless Settings at the top on the settings screen.
- From the left sidebar, click on Wireless Security. May be router does not have this option but it must be something similar to it.
- On the right pane, input a new password for your Wi-Fi in the Security Key field.
- At the bottom, select OK to save changes.
Update your Computer (Your Network Drivers & Router Firmware)
Drivers and firmware of your system give power to it to make it work properly. But, stock firmware programs and drivers are hardly ever without error and optimized. To improve the performance and stop bugs in your system, check driver updates. If you want to update your drivers, search for the name of the network adapter in your Windows device manager and find the website of the manufacturer for an updated driver.
You can also update firmware. To do so, you should go to the web inference of the router. After signing in to interface of your router, find the update button.
Keep the Router Closer to your Computer
Another way to speed up your internet connection is to get closer to your router. If you go farther from your laptop, your internet connection will be slower. You should also ensure that there is not a thick wall between your router and your system, especially concrete walls.
ISP (Internet Service Provider) will not give the best router most of the time. Therefore, if you experience the slow speed of the Internet, you should change your router. At certain times of the day, you may feel that you have slow internet speeds. It is because your ISP is trying to distribute bandwidth more efficiently.
Restart your Modem or Router
Another way to fix slow internet speeds is restarting your router or modem. Your router needs to be updated every two or three months. To do so, just turn off the router by disconnecting it. Then, wait for 10 seconds and then turn it on again. Sometimes, your internet connection may get slower for no reason. Thus, you can simply turn the router off and on to fix the problem.
Map the Signal Strength
Moving the router may take time for you. Another way you can use instead is to find the best place where the signals are stronger. Some tools like Heatmapper may help, but you need to register for a trial. After installation of Hearmapper, you should give the map of your home to it by walking around or using the pay you have already had. It will show you the best and worst places for internet speed. Thus, put the router in the best place to have the highest internet speed.
Uninstall OneNote Application
Even if you do not use OneNote, you should uninstall it to save bandwidth. OneNote makes your Windows 10 slow. To uninstall OneNote, just search OneNote in the search tab. Then, right-click and uninstall it.
Get a Wi-Fi Extender
You can use a Wi-Fi extender to bring signals closer to you if you don’t have a strong, stable signal. Wi-Fi extender connects to the signals, extends the wireless network, and omits dead zones and weak places. If you cannot go closer to your router, you can use a Wi-Fi extender to increase the speed of the internet.
Use an Advertisement Blocker
The internet is full of advertising, and many of the advertisements on websites are videos that play automatically. Therefore, it will decrease the speed of the Internet. Using an ad blocker to stop all those annoying ads.
Scan your Computer for Viruses
Viruses and Malware infections can lead to high bandwidth usage, especially when you download destructive code onto your PC. You can use Avast One software to scan your computer and identify any viruses or threats.
Use a Download Manager Program
The way that most people download and upload files in Windows 10 is not so fast. There are other ways to have a faster download and upload. One of the ways is to use a download manager to enhance your speed. Also, you can use an upload tool for uploading files, which provides better upload speeds.
Try another Web Browser
If you are using the same browser for every download or upload, you may need to change the browser when your speed is low. Some browsers are not optimized for Internet speed. For example, if you are using Chrome, you can try Firefox to increase download and upload speed.
Try a Plug in Connection Instead of Wi-Fi
If you feel that your Wi-Fi connection is slow most of the time and you do not want to invest in a router, you can try a wired connection. Connect your system to the router by Ethernet cable. Cables will provide the fastest speed for your system rather the Gbps.
Although cables are the fastest and most trustable, you have to make sure the length of your cable is not so long, without any kinks. This is a good way to increase the speed of your Internet.
Update Your Internet Plan
Another way to increase the speed of your download and upload is by upgrading your Internet plan. Data plans have their limitations of speed. You should use the plan which is more suitable for your needs. After upgrading the Internet plan, you should just restart your system to have a faster speed for downloading and uploading.
Disconnect Other Devices
If other devices are using your Internet connection, disconnect them to have faster internet speed. The speed of the Internet depends on the number of devices that are connected to the Internet. The speed will be slower when more devices use the Internet connection.
Download One File at a Time
Downloading many files at the same time decreases your Internet speed. Therefore, download and upload files separately to have more internet speed, and you will see the overall performance.
Many people experience the low speed of the Internet, and it is annoying for all people to have a slow speed Internet connection and also the slow speed of upload and download. There are many ways to increase your Internet speed that we presented in this article fully. Have you ever experienced the low speed of the Internet? What did you do? Which method above do you think will be more practical in this case? Do you know any other way to share with us related to this issue? Share your ideas with us.