It is a common question to ask how to screenshot in Windows 10?. You do it manually if you do not use a third-party tool. The most common way to do this is to press the PrtSc or Print Scrn to take a screenshot and press the Print Screen key to take a full PC screenshot, then copy it to the clipboard or save it. But there is more method to use for taking screenshots on Windows. In this article, we mention all the ways to take a screenshot.
- Hold the Start key + Shift + S to drag a rectangle to choose what you want to capture. Windows then copies it to the clipboard.
- Hold Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot into a document or image.
- Use Snipping Tools to edit the screenshot.
Use the methods below to screenshot in a minimized or full screen capture:
Method 1: Use the Print Screen key/shortcut
It is a simple way to screenshot on Windows 10 using the Print Screen key. This key is located next to the Function Keys (F#). Press the Windows key + Print to capture the whole screen and automatically save the screenshot. Your screenshot will go faint for a short time to show that you’ve just taken a screenshot. This screenshot will save in the Pictures > Screenshot folder. Follow the instruction below to do it in detail:
For entire screenshot:
- Hold Prt Scn on the top right corner of your keyboard to make the exact screen you want to print.
- To automatically save your screenshot to the clipboard or take a full computer screen, press Prt Scn or tap the Windows key + Print Screen key.
- To manually save the screenshot, paste the screenshot into any program that lets you put images, like Microsoft Word or Microsoft Paint.
Note: If you have more than one screen presentation, it will come to a single image.
Method 2: Use Alt + Prt Sc
- If you would like to take a screenshot of a single active window, use the keyboard shortcut Alt + Prt Scn.
- If you would like to take a screenshot of the active window, you have to choose the said window by clicking on it.
- Hold Alt + Prt Scn or Windows key Prt Scn
- The image will copy to the clipboard so that you can paste it somewhere else.
If you would like to save the image as a file, you can use a keyboard shortcut.
- Hold the Windows key + Prt Sc.
- It saves the image as a file.
- It is located in drive C: User > User name > Pictures > Screenshots.
Method 3: Use Windows logo + Print Screen
- Hold the Windows key + Prt Sc to take a PC screenshot and save the file.
- Your screenshots will go faint for a short time, and it will save in Screenshots folder of the Pictures.
Method 4. Use the Snipping Tool
If you would like to customize, commentate, or share your screen captures, the snipping tool is the best way to capture. The snipping tool has become available since Windows Vista, and it is a perfect tool for taking screenshots. It is useful for capturing a computer screenshot of the complete screen, a rectangular part of the screen, or a free-form screenshot. In this method, the screenshots do not save automatically, but it has an option to save them yourself.
Follow the steps below to use the snipping tool to take a PC screenshot:
- Find the snipping tool application in the search bar. If you cannot find the search bar, you can click right on the taskbar > hover to Search > click on Show Search Box. A snip sketch tool active window will appear.
- In the opened window, choose from the Mode of the Snip like a free-form snip, a window snip, a rectangular snip, or a full screen to capture.
- You also have the option of delay, which lets you take screenshots after some time. This option is practical for capturing tooltips and pop-up menus. Click on delay to choose the time in seconds.
- Click on New after getting ready to take the screenshot. The screen will disappear, and the cursor will change to a cross. If you choose the delay option, the screen will disappear after the selected seconds.
- If you choose the Rectangular snip mode, you can make a rectangle by clicking and dragging. The rectangle that you made will be the screenshot.
- If you choose the Free-form snip, you can click on a shape and draw it. Remember; after stopping the right click, you can take the screenshot.
- If you choose the Window snip, you can click on a window you want to take the screenshot of.
- If you choose the Full-screen snip after clicking on the screen, you can take a screenshot.
After taking the screenshot you have some options to:
- Save the image as a file: Click on File > Save as…> place it in your desired location.
- Save the image by email: Click on File > Send to > Email receiver.
- Print the screenshot: Click on File > Print.
- Copy the screenshot to your clipboard: Click on Edit > Copy.
- Edit the screenshot with the pen or highlight feature.
Method 5: Use the Snip & Sketch app
This app is one of the drawing tools that Windows users can use. Snip & Sketch is a perfect tool that is practical for Windows users to screenshot and they would like to annotate, customize, or share your screenshots.
- To activate Snip & Sketch, use Windows Key + Shift + S or search Snip & Sketch in the search bar.
- Your screen goes faint and a menu will appear at the top of the screen that helps you to choose a mode.
- You should choose the way to take a screenshot. The options are the same as the Snipping Tool:
- Rectangular PC screen Snip, Window Snip, Freeform Snip, and Full-screen Snip.
- The screenshot will copy to Clipboard.
- Paste it by holding Ctrl+V or Right-Click > Paste onto a document like a Word or Google document or an image processor like Paint, or even Photoshop.
- You can find a new window if you open Snip & Sketch.
- Select New to take a screenshot or click on the arrow pointing down to choose from Snip Now, Snip in 3 seconds, Snip in 10 seconds.
- The screen will be faint after choosing one of them, and then you can see a toolbar at the top of the screen to choose from snips.
- After selecting one of them, you can take a screenshot, whether it is a rectangle, a freeform, a particular window, or a full-screen screenshot.
- After taking the screenshot, the Snip & Sketch app will open, and you can find your screenshot. Now you can use annotation, eraser, and ruler. Moreover. You can crop your screenshot.
- After editing the screen shot, you are allowed to Save, Copy, or Share at the top right corner.
Method 6. Use the Game Bar
In Windows 10, you can use the Game bar to record gameplay footage, record videos, and take screenshot. Even if you are not in a game, you can take screenshots with the game bar. In the following lines, we will tell you how to use it:
- Press the Windows Key + G to open the Game Bar. Before that, make sure the opened window is the one that you want to screenshot.
- You can see Broadcast & Capture in the top right corner of the screen. Click on the Camera icon to take the screenshot. The screenshot will save as a PNG file in C:\Users\Username\Videos\Captures.
Record the Screen with the Game Bar
The game bar is installed in Windows 10 automatically. Follow the steps below to know how to record videos:
- Press Windows Key + G to open the Game Bar. Follow to know how to enable it:
- Select the Start Menu.
- Choose the cog icon to enter Settings.
- Select Gaming.
- Ensure that the switch of Record Game Clips, Screenshots, and Broadcast using Game Bar is on.
How to Record the Screen Using the Game Bar
Bear in mind that you can use only the Game Bar to record only one application or active window. It is usually the last window you click. Also, you cannot switch the window to another window while it is recording. The game bar does not allow you to record the whole screen. Thus, you cannot record your File Explorer or Desktop or a few other applications like Maps. Try to test it before the first experience. To record the screen by game bar, follow the steps below:
- Open the Windows application you would like to record. You should keep other windows closed or minimized to avoid recording the wrong window by accident. Moreover, ensure that the audio you do not want to record is off because the screen recorder receives any audio on the device.
- Press the Windows key + G to open Xbox Game Bar.
- Press the microphone to activate external audio recording. It also lets you add commentary or do a voiceover.
- Press the button of Record to start recording or press Windows + Alt + R without going to the Game Bar.
- Each way you choose, you will receive a bar with a timer and two recording controls.
- Press the microphone to switch your external microphone on and off, and complete your recording.
- Hit the button of Stop or press Windows + Alt + R to stop screen recording. It will save on your PC.
- You can see a notification at the lower right corner, saying Game clip recorded. If you click on the notification, you can open the captures or screenshots folder in File Explorer, or to find the recording you should go to This PC > Videos > Captures or the screenshots folder.
Method 7: Use Third Party Application
Third-party tools are a complete feature for screenshots in Windows. These tools provide more features like capturing scrolling screens and sharing with other applications. The software of the print screen from parties provides image editor, project management, file sharing, and messaging tools to maximize the efficiency of tools and productivity. Some of these applications include ShareX, Droplr, ScreenPresso, Snagit, PicPick, CloudApp, Apowersoft Screen Capture Pro, and Screencast-O-Matic.
In this article, all the ways to screenshot from Windows 10 and 11 were mentioned. Which method do you choose? Have you ever tried any of these methods? Does this article useful for you?