You might experience a situation in which you might add an additional RAM to your device, or sometimes your RAM does not support you and will not give you great performance while working with your computer. In this case, you need to purchase and add additional RAM to your device. So, you will need to know about your PC / laptop RAM type, size, speed, etc.
In this article, we describe how to find your RAM speed, type, and size on Windows 7. Follow us to find out how to get information about your RAM.
What is RAM?
When you want to purchase a new PC or laptop, you need to determine how much RAM you need. You definitely do not want less than 8GB of RAM because that is low for many apps and programs. 16GB of RAM is usually sufficient unless you use a video editing program, CAD (computer-aided design), and heavy games. In this situation, you will need at least 32GB of RAM. You can also get a PC or laptop with less memory, but it lowers your device performance significantly.
Check RAM Size Through Command Prompt
If you want to find out the capacity of your RAM, follow these steps below:
- Open the Run window by holding the Windows + R hotkey.
- To open the Command Prompt window, type CMD.
- Copy and paste this command: wmic memphysical get maxcapacity
- Press the Enter key.
- Now, you should see your RAM size.
Check RAM Size Through Control Panel
There is another way to find your RAM capacity. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click on start.
- In the search bar, type Control Panel.
- Go to the System section.
- On the opened page, you can see your RAM size.
Check Size Type Through the Search Bar
If you want to find your RAM size, follow the steps below:
- First of all, hit the Start button.
- In the search bar, type RAM.
- Now, choose the Show how much RAM is on this computer option.
- Now, you can see the RAM type in the opened window.
Check RAM Size Through the My Computer
If you want to find how to check RAM size through My Computer, work as follows:
- Right-click on the My Computer icon.
- Choose the Properties option from the menu.
- Here, you can see how much RAM is installed and available on your PC.
Check RAM Type
To find how to check RAM type, follow these steps:
- First of all, hold the Windows + R hotkey.
- Type CMD in the Run window.
- Hit Enter.
- A Command Prompt window will pop up.
- There, copy and paste this command: wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, DeviceLocator, Capacity, Speed
- Press the Enter key.
- On Command Prompt window, you can see the RAM Performance.
- To see the RAM type, copy and paste this command: wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, DeviceLocator, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Capacity, Speed
If your memory type is 24, it means that you have a DDR4. And, if your memory type is 128, it means the RAM type is synchronous.
Check RAM Speed
If you want to find your RAM speed, follow the below steps:
- Hold the Windows + R hotkey.
- To open Command Prompt, type CMD.
- Then, copy and paste this command: wmic memorychip get speed, memorytype
- Hit Enter.
- Here, you can see the speed of your RAM.
If it is hard for you to understand which type and speed of RAM you have, look at the list below:
- PC-1600 to PC-3200 – DDR
- PC2-3200 to PC2-8500 – DDR2
- PC3-6400 to PC3-17000 – DDR3
How to Find Out the Installed, Used, and available RAM on Windows 7
To find out, follow the steps below:
- Hold the Ctrl + Alt + Delete hotkey.
- Choose Task Manager.
- Now, the Task Manager window will pop up.
- Go to the Performance tab.
- Here, you can find the details of your RAM, which we can use, how much RAM is used, and the available RAM capacity.
The Bottom Line
In this article, we suggested different methods to get information about your RAM. Hopefully, you can find your RAM specs through this article. This information can help you a lot in different situations such as altering your hardware, troubleshooting some RAM errors, or upgrading your RAM to improve the performance of your PC.
Have you ever tried any of these methods? Which one did you find helpful? Do you know any more methods to find your RAM specs?